Monday, February 14, 2005

First Time

Blogging: right now a new and exciting way to avoid doing a German assignment. But in the long term, also a way to share my thoughts and opinions with a wider audience than I can glean from those of my friends patient enough to listen to my frequent 'soap-box' moments. Your advantage is that you can surf away if you get bored.

My interests are spread far beyond the boundaries of the subjects that are officially incorporated into my course at university. Often I feel the need to write down some of my thoughts, and the result is a large and varied collection of essays with no apparent purpose. It would be both comforting and encouraging to know that other people think about the same things I do, even if they don't share my opinions.

Let's start with an introduction, which will perhaps provide a context for my other postings. Or not.

I'm 22 years old. Or maybe it would be better to say I was born at the beginning of 1983, to save any readers I might get from straining with more complicated maths than absolutely necessary.

Aha! A clue... Did you pick it up? No, didn't think so. "Maths" - UK terminology, rather than you Americans' (since the bloggers on here generally seem to hail from the other side of the Atlantic) "math". I am British, and I will faithfully stick to the spelling and vocabulary of my own language. That means that when I use words like "colour" and "grey", I am not spelling them incorrectly. Equally, if I ever use the word "aluminium", the word that you mentally hear is pronounced "al-yoo-MIN-yoom". This is a sore point with many Brits, so I feel it my duty to get that sorted out right at the beginning.

Before you get the idea that I'm a raving Yankophobic, I have to point out that I will also be found grinding my teeth over my own government (whom, it must be said, I did NOT use my vote to elect) and those wonderful British character traits that drive me quietly up the wall.

This is bad. 3 paragraphs to establish that I am a 22 year old Brit. At the risk of rushing the rest of it, I was born and raised in the south west corner of England and I'm now a first year Music student at a university somewhat closer to London, but still on the coast. I'm engaged (let's call him S), and I'm a Jew-by-Choice. Interesting term, that, and I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about it. Still, it serves its purpose. If you prefer convert, that's fine.

Before you ask, I am not converting because I want to marry a Jewish man. S is Jewish, but we met at the synagogue long after I started attending regularly, and only got together much later still. I'm going through the official conversion process at the moment (Liberal - sorry to all the frumme Yidn out there!), but after 6 or 7 years I feel Jewish, so excuse me if I refer to myself as such.

But that's another blog. This one is a starting point, a foundation for something that will hopefully blossom into a kind of cathartic collection of thoughts, ramblings, quotes and other things that I feel a need to share with other people. And who knows, maybe I'll discover that there are other people out there in the blogging world who feel the same way, or who at least feel strongly enough about the same issues that we can get a discussion going. I will send my ruminations into the ether and see what, if anything, comes back to me.

I'll leave you with an interesting and thought-provoking fact (N.B. I have not personally checked this for accuracy):

There are 56 words in the Lord's Prayer, 297 in the Ten Commandments, 300 in the United States Declaration of Independence, and 26,911 in the EEC directive on the export of duck eggs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gila said...

Regarding your conversion...bruchim ha'ba'ah l'mishpacha! Welcome to the family!

For what it is worth, my late mother, ז"ל (born Jewish, went to the Yeshiva of Flatbush and everything), always held that converts were on a higher level because they chose Judaism, and tended to be more serious about it than one who fell into it. So much respect and good wishes coming at you from Jerusalem, and you should never apologize for thinking of yourself or referring to yourself as Jewish.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Gonetomars said...

Daphna - you rule! Not only do you have the distinction of being the first person to post on my blog, you also have a superb blog of your own that I was a fan of even before you stumbled across mine and left such a wonderful first comment! So lots of good thoughts being sent through the ether to Jerusalem...

2:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home