Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Good Riddance to a Rubbish Day

I really struggled today. Sleep-deprivation didn’t help - I am long past the point where seeing 3am is a good idea, but I had a work deadline and simply couldn’t snatch enough daytime minutes around the children to get it done. 

Like most of us, I have days when I’m fine. Not wonderful, perhaps, but coping. But something really small can tip me over the edge. I lose motivation, I snap at the kids, and then I get even more depressed because I haven’t got anything done. Today was one of those days, after something unbloggable kicked off in the morning. 

I had a work meeting just after lunch so we needed to get down to the allotment early. There have been issues with the site rotivator and I am several weeks behind on digging beds and getting things in. Lots has been started in the conservatory but it’s beginning to look like the Eden Project in there and I am becoming mildly concerned that I may wake up one day to find a butternut squash has crept up the stairs overnight and is lovingly strangling me. 

The boys generally enjoy the allotment but have decided that it is THE LAW that each trip should be preceded with at least two hours of moaning and flatly refusing to don socks, wellies, or sometimes anything that isn’t a pair of slightly grubby pyjamas. By the time they had fulfilled that requirement and we had finally left the house we only had an hour and a half before we had to head home again. I made pretty good use of the time - the first potatoes went in, I made a start on digging the next bed, and several other future beds were covered with weed-suppressant fabric in the hope it might make the digging easier when I get to them. It felt like a drop in the ocean compared to everything that needs doing down there, and the kids spent a lot of time winding each other up and complaining to me rather than sorting out between themselves. Eventually I blew up at them and we trudged home for a scratch lunch before my meeting, where I discovered half the work I did in the wee small hours had somehow been irretrievably deleted. Nothing catastrophic but several hours of very intense and tedious work that needs to be done again. 

The rest of the afternoon was a marathon of teaching online, interspersed with sorting laundry and throwing a casserole into the oven and breaking up arguments and finding long-lost important documents to try to resolve the issue this morning and ignoring the collapsed shelf in the kitchen cupboard and the full cup of milky tea dropped all over the floor and and and... I have a headache. 

Great British Sewing Bee and cup of tea, and then I am declaring today finished. Good riddance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home